Here are a few of the most difficult things I went through in my 20s, and as hard as some of this was to get through—these experiences were ultimately my greatest teachers.
I hope you might learn from them too, as these are essential lessons for most 20-year-olds.
- I got cheated on by someone I was with for 7 years— I learned to walk away from what was not right for me. I learned my self worth, and I finally got to a point where I wasn’t willing to give that up for anyone
- I got diagnosed with Anxiety, Panic Attacks & Borderline Personality Disorder—which taught me that I a) struggle with emotional regulation and relationships and b) how to re-gain control via medication, therapy, prayer, exercise, meditation, a support system, and will-power.
- I got $140,000+ stolen from me—this taught me not to trust as easily as I once had, especially in business. It also taught me how to re-build myself after financial devastation.
- I experienced a major falling out with my in-laws— but ultimately, I learned the value of family and forgiveness. I learned to move forward, even when it’s not difficult, and love despite the shortcomings of both myself and others.
- I lost more friends than I can count—For a while, I thought I was simply “unlikeable,” but I realized that often the greatest people are the loneliest. They keep their circles small. I now value one-on-one relationships far more than being part of friend groups that are often drama fueled.
- And More…
This is just a slice of what I’ve been through and overcome in my 20s, but again, I’m grateful for the lessons. Maybe they’ll help you too.
2 thoughts on “What are the Top Lessons I Learned in my 20s?”
I’m 21 i’m a black girl im dating this Gorgeous Pakistani boy who is 27, we’re so in love but he tells me that a future would be impossible together because his family will choose someone for him, it breaks my heart because i feel like his my soulmate😓. Ps i love your blogs i read them all the time